The Health Foundation and TD Bank Financial Group announced the recipients of the Spring Education Awards for 2012. Applications are considered twice each year and awards are given each spring and fall. The fall awards saw 14 successful applicants for a total of $16,100
The Health Foundation’s Scholarship Fund awards approximately $24,000 a year to help further the training and education of health care staff in east central Saskatchewan. The TD Bank Financial Group contributes $12,000 annually to fund 50% of the awards.
For 12 consecutive years TD has partnered with The Health Foundation, making a very significant investment in local healthcare through this education program. This brings the total of TD Bank Financial Groups investment in this education program to $120,000.
“TD Bank Financial Group is committed to investing in the future of this area by helping to ensure that nurses and other practicing caregivers have access to funds to upgrade their skills and further their education.” said Jonas Haywood, TD Canada Trust Area Manager for east central Saskatchewan.
“This program has had tremendous success since it started,” said Mr. Haywood. “We have successfully assisted our nurses and therapists to enhance their education and improve their skills. This program has helped improve the quality of healthcare available in our local medical facilities.”
The recipients of TD Bank Financial Group’s scholarship awards are:
• Arnold Esguerra, a nurse with St. Paul’s Lutheran Home, taking orientation to Nursing in Canada
• Hilary Keller, with St. Paul’s Lutheran Home, is taking the RN Diploma
• Janice Flaman, a nurse in the regional health centre is taking her post RN Bachelor of Nursing
• Joanne Pasamonte, a nurse with St. Paul’s Lutheran Home, taking orientation to Nursing in Canada
The recipients of The Health Foundation’s scholarship awards were:
• Denise Kominetsky, a nurse in the regional health centre, taking the International Inter-Professional Wound Care Course;
• Pat Kuspira, In the Human Resources department, taking her Human Resource Management Certificate.
The recipients of The Health Foundation’s awards to attend workshops and conferences are:
• Kim Tiang Giong, with Cornerstone Therapies, to attend the course “Manual Edema Mobilization of for Sub-Acute Arm/Hand Edema.
• Jill Health, is a nurse in Hemodialysis, who will attend a workshop for the Canadian Association of Nephrology nurses,
• Elaine Andrew, an RN in Hemodialysis, who will attend a workshop for the Canadian Association of Nephrology nurses,
• Wendy Naclia, in Human Resources, to attend the annual conference for human resource professionals;
• Andrea Nazarevich with Cornerstone Therapies, to attend the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapist annual conference and workshop,
• Koliann Shwaga, in YRHC – ICU, attending the Dynamics of Critical Care conference
Jointly with TD Bank Financial Group The Health Foundation will also fund a wheelchair skills workshop. Jacquie Holzmann, Director of Therapies for Sunrise, made the application and accepted the award.
“This course will increase the knowledge and skills of therapies staff in prescribing, training, education and support of patients who require a wheelchair,” said Ms. Holzmann.
Additionally, several books were bought as resource and educational material for the medicine ward under the Educational Resource Materials of the Education Program. Charlene Malayney accepted the award.
Since the program started in 2002, there have been 248 awards totaling $231,100. The Health Foundation normally grants up to $24,000 in educational awards, but if some awards are unused those funds are carried forward and made available in the next round of applications.