The Notre Dame Hounds Baseball team of 1953 to ’58 will take its place in the Saskatchewan Baseball Hall of Fame in the team category, Aug. 18.
The Hounds were a great addition to the Southern Saskatchewan Baseball League as well as a great attraction for all small town tournaments. When the famous “Dog House”, a makeshift camper on the back of a three-ton truck rolled into town, it was well known that fans would be treated to some first class baseball. This is how the Hounds traveled to all their league and tournament games. That was dedicated baseball.
The Notre Dame squad participated in tournaments throughout Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba and the Northern U.S.A. Their object was to win as many tournaments as they could to help pay the bills. At the time, no funding was in place for this type of endeavour. They were on their own.
Many of the players got employment with local farmers as they needed a flexible schedule in order to play ball.
In the summer of 1955, the Notre Dame Hounds played 86 league and tournament games. This was a gruelling schedule and the team was on the road most of the season. Through all of this, the Hounds played with hustle, talent and pride.
Saskatchewan celebrated it’s Jubilee Year in 1955 and Indian Head held it’s last big tournament in mid July. For the first time in its history, two teams tied for top money, those being the Hounds and the Brandon Cloverleafs.
The game went 10 innings and was finally called due to darkness. This game was broadcast on radio by Johnny Esaw and was watched by 5,000 fans at the ball park game.
Many people who were privileged to have been spectators at these exciting baseball games and watch the calibre of baseball that was played will always remember the hustle of the Hounds.