This photo was taken on June 2, 1953 when Yorkton streets and businesses were decorated to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. Margaret Riesz is shown dressed in her Girl Guide uniform in front of her father Anton Riesz’s Shoe Repair and White’s Cycle shops. The address was 26 Third Avenue North which was originally the first Methodist Church in town. This building and the one on the left which was Decker’s barber and beauty salon were demolished to make room for the erection of the Coop store in 1961. White’s Cycle was sold to Don Harris when it was relocated to First Avenue. When the building on Third was demolished Anton Riesz relocated to 53 Broadway East. He later moved to 54 Broadway East.
Text by Ray Riesz. Photo donated to Archives by Ray and Dorothy Riesz
Contact Terri Lefebvre Prince,
City of Yorkton Archives,
Box 400, 37 Third Avenue North
Yorkton, Sask. S3N 2W3