According to Father Peter Pidskalny, CSsR, Pastor at St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic church, “this picture was definitely taken before 1954, as the east extension construction to the church began then. It was likely in July, on a Sunday closest to July 7, on one of our Vidpust (Pilgrimage) celebrations. The Divine Liturgy was celebrated outdoors due to the thousands of pilgrims from across Saskatchewan and Manitoba who participated. There was a “band shell” erected to cover the altar that was used at least until the 1970’s.”
Gene Denischuk, a long time parishioner believes the Archbishop, Basil Vladimir Ladyka, O.S.B.M was visiting the Parish on this occasion, and is in the photo.
In the very early years, the Redemptorists had instituted the annual Vidpust. For many years Yorkton’s population would double during this celebration. Guest missionaries and bishops preached at the devotions.
Photo: Ed Saher Fonds
Contact Terri Lefebvre Prince, Heritage Researcher,
City of Yorkton Archives,
Box 400, 37 Third Avenue North,
Yorkton, Sask. S3N 2W3