The Health Foundation and TD Bank Financial Group announced the recipients of the Spring Education Awards for 2014. Applications are considered twice each year and awards are given each spring and fall. There were 23 successful applicants this spring and a total of $12,457 awarded.
The Health Foundation’s Scholarship Fund awards approximately $24,000 a year to help further the training and education of health care staff in east central Saskatchewan. The TD Bank Financial Group contributes $12,000 annually to fund 50% of the awards.
For 14 consecutive years TD has partnered with The Health Foundation, making a very significant investment in local healthcare through this education program. This brings the total of TD Bank Financial Groups investment in this education program to $144,000.
“TD Bank Financial Group is committed to investing in the future of this region by helping to ensure that nurses and other caregivers have access to funds to upgrade their skills and further their education,” said Les Arnelien, Branch Manager, TD Canada Trust.
“This program has had tremendous success since it started,” said Mr. Arnelien. “We have helped our nurses and therapists improve their education and clinical skills. This program has helped improve the quality of healthcare available in our local medical facilities.”
The recipients of TD Bank Financial Group’s scholarship awards are:
• Kyleigh Williams, who works in the Lab of the regional hospital and does cardiac stress testing, she will be taking the Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography course; and,
• Landon Ullrich, an EMS Paramedic who is taking the advanced paramedic course.
In addition TD Bank is also sponsoring a 3-day workshop, which will be held in Yorkton, with nurses, therapists and other care givers who work with patients in wheelchairs.
The recipients of The Health Foundation’s scholarship awards were:
• Penny Froh, who works at Foam Lake Jubilee home, and is taking The Empathy Method & Optimizing Health of Older Adults course;
• Janice Flaman, who is taking a course on Gerontological nursing;
• Hilary Orosz, who works in Mental Health and Addictions, is taking an interpersonal communications course;
• Kerri-Lynn Shiplack, who works in labour relations, is taking the Certified Disability Management Professional Course
The recipients of The Health Foundation’s awards to attend workshops and conferences are:
• Darla Stechychyn
• Moira Stoll
• Patricia Budd
• Lacey Wilson
• Lana Mucha
• Phyllis Lisoway
• Kim Bucsis
• Teresa Padua
• Melanie Marshall
• Jodi Mastrachuk
• Carol Leis
• Janice Fritzke
• Karen Legge
• Jackelyn Kentel
• Sharon Buchinski
• Sandy Vaughn Hastie
Since TD Bank Financial Group and The Health Foundation started this program in 2002, there have been 290 awards totaling $269,528. The Health Foundation normally grants up to $24,000 in educational awards, but if some awards are unused those funds are carried forward and made available in the next round of applications.