A village 56 km east of Yorkton off No. 10 Highway.
The Canadian Northern Railway arrived in Calder October 26, 1909. Calder was incorporated as a village in 1911. It was named after James Alexander Calder who was assistant education commissioner for the North West Territories in 1901. A teacher by profession, he spent time in country schools, high school in Moose Jaw and as a school inspector. He served as a key member of Liberal Premier Walter Scott’s cabinet and apparently chose the location of our Legislative building. After he entered federal politics he served under Conservative Prime Minister Robert Borden during the years of World War l. He was appointed as a Conservative member to the Senate in 1921, remaining in that position until his death in 1956. (Source: Geographic Names of Saskatchewan by Bill Barry.)
Contact Terri Lefebvre Prince,
City of Yorkton Archives, Box 400,
37 Third Avenue North, Yorkton, Sask. S3N 2W3