Canada is one of the world’s largest agriculture and agri-food exporters, that sends about half of our domestic food and agricultural production worth over $65 billion to more than 180 countries worldwide. The Government of Canada recognizes the importance of Canada’s pork and beef industries, with $6.5 billion worth of pork and beef being exported in 2018 alone.
Today, the Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, and the Honourable Jim Carr, Minister of International Trade Diversification, hosted a roundtable with leaders from the pork and beef sectors.
The roundtable discussion gave stakeholders the opportunity to share information, and have a productive exchange about current market access issues with China. The Government of Canada is working proactively with the pork and beef sectors to ensure that they will be able to sell their high quality products in as many global markets as possible, including China.
The Government of Canada will continue to work tirelessly to restore full market access for Canadian products to China, while also advancing Canada’s Trade Diversification Strategy. Canada has a strong reputation as an efficient and reliable supplier of high-quality products, which has helped to build the confidence and trust of buyers from around the world.
“We are working closely with farmers, industry, provinces and exporters to restore market access to China as quickly as possible. We know that Canada’s food safety system is recognized as one of the best in the world and we will continue to stand-up for Canada’s entire agricultural sector.”
- Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
“Canada has the finest food products in the world and re-opening market access for our meat exports to China is a top priority for our government. I was glad to be here today to engage with representatives from Canadian businesses and to hear their views. We stand behind our producers and will work closely with them on this issue until it is resolved.”
- Jim Carr, Minister of International Trade Diversification
- Canada is one of the world’s largest agriculture and agri-food exporters, sending about half of our food and agricultural production, worth over $65 billion, to more than 180 countries worldwide.
- Canada’s meat industry drives over $6B of Canada’s exports, and is the largest employer in the food industry.
- The Government of Canada announced funding for the Canadian Meat Council under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership’s AgriMarketing program in June 2019.