Former residents of Yorkton,Phone Hill, Kamsack and Canora will be honoured by the Ukrainian Canadian Congress of Saskatchewan (UCC Saskatchewan).
The organization has announced that this year’s Nation Builders & Community Recognitions Awards Luncheon will be held on Sunday, Oct. 20, in the Regency Ballroom of the Hotel Saskatchewan in Regina, commencing at 1:00 PM.
The Nation Builders & Community Recognition Awards acknowledge the worthy contributions of Saskatchewan Ukrainians who have made a lasting impact on Saskatchewan and Canada, preserved our place in the history of our province and country, and fostered pride in our Ukrainian Canadian identity and achievements while inspiring others — including youth and newcomers — to serve and contribute to their communities.
The Nation Builders Award is bestowed to persons who have made meritorious contributions which have had a significant impact, left a legacy, and/or who have provided an exemplary role model to the Ukrainian community and/or Saskatchewan and Canada. The individuals who will be honoured this year as Nation Builders are:
• Dr. John Kuspira (Phone Hill, SK-Edmonton, AB)
• Edward Ratushny, Q.C. (Kamsack, SK-Ottawa, ON)
• Sandra Semchuk (Meadow Lake, SK-Vancouver, BC)
The Community Recognitions Award is presented to persons who have made meritorious contributions in one or more of the areas of: Youth Achievement; Leadership; Volunteerism; Cultural Preservation & Development, and/or creativity & innovation to the Ukrainian community and/or Saskatchewan and Canada. The 2019 Awards recipients are:
• Edward Diakow (Dobrowody district, SK) for Cultural Preservation & Development
• Naomi Lee (Weirdale, SK-Regina, SK) for Volunteerism
• †John Melnyk (Myrnam, AB-Regina, SK) for Leadership
• †Alexander Obarianyk (Secretan, SK-Regina, SK) for Cultural Preservation & Development
• Miroslaw (Mert) Ochitwa (Norquay, SK-Canora, SK) for Volunteerism
• Janis Olesko (Prince Albert, SK) for Leadership
• Aileen Pillipow (Yorkton, SK-Regina, SK) for Leadership
• Ivanna Knoll (Regina, SK) for Youth Achievement
• Paul Kodak (Saskatoon, SK) for Youth Achievement
Tickets to this year’s Awards Luncheon are $70 for adults (includes a $25 tax receipt) and $35 for children 12 years of age and under. The public is invited to attend and celebrate the achievements of the above-noted honourees. MasterCard, Visa and American Express orders can be made by calling toll-free 1.888.652.5850 (or 306.652.5850), ext. 101, or by visiting the UCC Saskatchewan office in Saskatoon at #4-2345 Avenue C North (corner of Avenue C and 45th Street).
The Nation Builders & Community Recognition Awards Luncheon and Presentation is held this year with thanks to our Diamond Sponsors: the Ukrainian Society of Prosvita – Regina, the Ukrainian Canadian Congress – Regina Branch, and Prince Albert & District Ukrainian Cultural & Heritage Association.
The Ukrainian Canadian Congress of Saskatchewan is a provincial organization that provides programs and services for the Saskatchewan community to maintain, develop and share its Ukrainian Canadian identity and aspirations.