The cover of “The Beaver” magazine of August 1922 shows eleven department stores of the Hudson’s Bay Company in Western Canada. These structures — all elaborate are located in Victoria, Vancouver, Vernon, Kamloops, Nelson, Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Yorkton. The motto featured on the cover “Devoted to the Interest of Those Who Serve the Hudson’s Bay Company” refers to the publication being dedicated to the Company staff. “The Beaver” was published in Winnipeg since 1920, and became a resource for free lance writers of the fur trade, company history, etc. It was acquired by Canada’s National History Society in 1994, and under a new name “Canada’s History” aims to promote interest in and knowledge of Canadian history. The former Hudson’s Bay store of Yorkton has been restored for commercial and condo living purposes. It was designated a Municipal Heritage Property in 1990.
© Copyright Yorkton This Week