Recently I have been made aware of social media posts and a letter to the editor regarding a Good Spirit School Division (GSSD) Administrative Procedure on Gender and Sexual Diversity. I appreciate the anxiety and concern that some wording within the draft Administrative Procedure has created. Please be assured GSSD is following Ministry of Education guidelines in ensuring that all students have safe and supportive school environments despite the diversity represented within each of their families. Staff, parents, and other community members will continue to be consulted as the division moves closer to completing our Administrative Procedure.
To avoid misinformation, I would ask that GSSD parents consider the following information:
1. The Administrative Procedure (AP) being referenced is in “draft” form and is still undergoing revision. The AP is still undergoing a vetting process which means it will see significant change and refinement before it is instituted.
2. The intent of the Administrative Procedure was to construct guidelines around the inclusion of all students and staff within GSSD regardless of their gender or sexual identity.
3. GSSD is “not” promoting or teaching a preference to any particular lifestyle. GSSD is mandated to follow the Saskatchewan curriculum and is not implementing any other curriculum which is currently a perception among fractions of our GSSD family.
4. GSSD respects and appreciates the role of parents and identifies them as the most important stakeholders in a child’s education. It is not the intent of GSSD to withhold or “hide” information from parents. Rather GSSD is committed to working with parents to keep “students first.”
5. GSSD is respecting provincial and federal codes of Human Rights and Freedoms. We continue to respect diversity among our children and their families by ensuring inclusive, safe environments. Inclusion means we respect all differences and treat all children equally.
6. GSSD will continue to provide training and development to our staff and families as we venture to support all students within our division to create bright futures.
7. GSSD is following guidelines set forth by the Provincial Governments Ministry of Education. In 2015, the Document “Deepening the Discussion” was published as a set of guidelines to be followed by all provincial school divisions (Public and Catholic).
Good Spirit School Division