Last weekend, CrossFit competitors from all over Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta and Ontario gathered in Yorkton for the third annual Highway 9 Throwdown at CrossFit Function.
There were 120 athletes, equaling 60 teams, who competed in a number of workouts that covered every type of fitness domain imaginable.
Taryn Dubreuil, the owner of CFF and event organizer, said athletes were tested in agility, stretch, aerobic endurance, anaerobic endurance, sprints, weightlifting and much more.
Over the course of the competition, which was held on Saturday and Sunday, athletes competed in at least five workouts, with the best teams going on to the finals.
“We want to know who the fittest team is,” offered Dubreuil.
The athletes competed in teams of two of the same sex. Some workouts require them to work together, while some are more individual based. But at the end of it all, the teams who can work the best together and communicate strongly come out on top.
The scale divisions are for newer athletes to the sport of CrossFit, or for people who have never competed before. The RX division is for the more elite.
“There’s really something for everyone,” said Dubreuil.
Dubreuil said she was definitely happy with how the weekend went, especially considering the three teams from her gym who finished on the podium.
“It gets better and better each year,” she said. Next year, they may move the event out of CrossFit Function because of the growth they’ve seen.
The winners of the events are as follows:
Women’s Scaled -
1. Alecia Perry & Addie Weber, CrossFit Iron Society & CrossFit Regina
2. Rhawnie Olson & Samantha MacDonald, CrossFit Weyburn
3. Katie Mrygold & Ashley Miller, Living Skies CrossFit
Women’s RX -
1. Ashley & Alyssa Grywacheski, CrossFit FUNCTION
2. Julie Baldock & Alanna Bens, Villains Strength & Conditioning
3. Kenzie Craig & Danielle Steele, Living Skies CrossFit
Men’s Scaled -
1. Kevin Wlock & Darrell Richardson, CrossFit FUNCTION
2. Wade Bjerand & Austin Rudiak, CrossFit Iron Society
3. Jamie Holodniuk & Sean McKnight, CrossFit FUNCTION
Men’s RX -
1. Matt Bathgate & Tyler Swiak, Synergy Strength & Conditioning
2. Michael Head & Blair Duke, Villains Strength & Conditioning
As with most events, Dubreuil said it would not have been possible to manage without the volunteers.
“Every year we pull it off so fluently, without any errors, and it’s all because of volunteers. They have all my appreciation for their time and how they make it flow together,” said Dubreuil.
CrossFit Function wanted to thank the sponsors who also made the event possible: Farrell Agencies. Harvest Meats, Saddles & Steel, Yorkton Acupuncture, Dr. Ric Adane, Shelby Wilk & Yvette Syrota with Century 21, After5 Designs, JAKTRX, ExRender Athletics, Livesore Canada, Busted Barbell Fitness, amd GainzLocker.